Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lessons for Librarians From Teaching?

3.7.10
When I was teaching, back in the day, I went to a conference session entitled "YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING, SO STOP PRETENDING," or something like that. Close enough.

This is the phrase I remember from it:
Sage on the Stage, or Guide on the Side?

As a young teacher, it was good for me to realize that when students see what I know as well as what I don't, they see that it's all about learning, not about being someone who knows it all.

What a relief.

As a 'mature' librarian experiencing information overload and 'change as the constant,' I remind myself not to be embarassed or discouraged by what I don't know, and not to pretend to know more than I do. It's time to learn from younger and older colleagues alike.

Who cares who learned it first? Let's drop our egos and get on with it. Let's enjoy seeing all that someone else knows, without the constant comparison and competition. Let's enjoy someone else's success, for that matter, and not be threatened.

What a relief.

2 comments:

  1. I love it; I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Carol you rock! This is great. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete