Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm Just Sayin'

I'm Just Sayin' that my motivation isn't to do things '...just good enough.'

Excellence, in some circles, has gotten a bad rap. Excellent customer service, careful consideration, finishing details, thoughtful organization - when did these become objects of ridicule?

'Good enough' has long been a mantra of those with priorities elsewhere;
but when did "I'm a big fan of good enough." become a catch phrase of the effective?

'Good enough' is sometimes the only way to address the priority - for example, when the priority is family: "I'll get most of this volunteer project done as well as I can, but I have to do the shopping and pick up the kids before my wife comes home from work. Good enough will have to do." This scenario I understand.

This scenario I find problematic:
I'll get most of this job done (the 40 hour per week one) as well as I can, but I may have to spend a good part of my time at work planning for my life outside of work.

'Good enough' has long been a mantra of those with priorities elsewhere. My objection is trying to legitimize this mantra at work as a mantra of the EFFECTIVE, when the priority seems to be anything but work, when elsewhere seems to be anywhere but work, and when the definition of effective seems to be "just good enough."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an excellent point! I would also like to add that the idea of "just good enough" is vague and misleading because to the people that have to deal with the "just good enough" job...we might actually find the job to be done poorly and not "good enough."

    ReplyDelete